Wednesday, December 30, 2009

DIY: Modern Bookcase

I needed a bookcase in the "library" to hold my magazines. I didn't want to spend a lot and I also don't have room in my car to fit a large unit. So, I found these instructions for a 60-Minute Bookcase on Instructables.com. (It took me way longer than 60 minutes by the way).

My dad helped me pick out the lumber and cut it all for me. He also used his math brain to figure out the dimensions. Then I brought the lumber home and stained it all (still needs another coat and protective finish, but I'll deal with that later).

My unit was a little wider so it started to come apart when I loaded on the magazines. Luckily, I had some 1" dowels in the basement that I was able to cut and use as extra support. I also used brackets to brace it to the wall.



And here it is fully loaded:




I'm pretty happy with it! Looks exactly how I imagined. Thanks, Dad!

3 comments:

HanPlans said...

Dad's are awesome!

Katie Volk said...

Those look great, Ryan! Can't wait to see what you will do with your awesome new house next!

stackable folding bookcase said...

Ok, I will go first. I'd like to be entered for the black bookcase, because my son could use it at school. Thanks you.