Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Weekend of Exercise

Saturday morning I participated in the Revlon Run/Walk for Women with 7 of my friends. Team "Adult Babies" (don't even ask...) raised over $1,500 to be donated towards women's cancer research (I don't have the official total yet because we donated checks on the day of too).

The walk was fun. We met a little too early (8am, but the walk didn't start until 9:15), but it was kind of neat of be in Times Square without any cars zooming by or tourists walking into you. Of course, we were surrounded by thousands of females, which can be a little overwhelming in itself. The run/walk kicked off with a sky of confetti (best part of the whole day) and Tiki Barber waved from the catwalk above (second best part of the whole day).


Saturday night I was wiped out and getting ready for Bike NY so I decided to make baked beets. They were delicious, but I got a little too excited when taking them out of the oven. It looked like someone had chopped their hand off in our kitchen.


On Sunday morning Abe and I rode into Manhattan to ride in Bike New York. This bike tour rides through all 5 boroughs of New York City. At least 30,000 people participated this year and it's quite a production. Major streets like the FDR highway and teh Brooklyn-Queens Expressway (BQE) are shut down so we can ride on them. In addition, we ride over the Madison Avenue Bridge, Queensboro Bridge, and Verrazano Bridge. The tour is 42 miles, but we rode extra and I think we ended up doing around a total of 50 miles.

In Astoria Park

6th Avenue right before Central Park

After Bike New York we went over to Meredith's house for a BBQ. I was exhausted, but totally rallied because, like my mama always said: "There is nothing better than sausage and beer after a 50 mile bike ride."

Abe about to eat a Bill Cosby-style hot dog: sausage and ketchup topped with potato chips.

This little guy is surprisingly loud.

No comments: