Thursday, May 8, 2008

Not-So-Secret Garden



Abe met me at my office after work yesterday and we went to the Conservatory Garden in Central Park. This is one of my top 3 places in Central Park and I have to remember to go back more often during the day (I've only been after 5:30pm). It is a huge space and has all these neat little gardens inside. Because it is way up on 103rd Street it never seems to be too crowded. The hardest part about being there is that I just want it to be all mine. I want it to be my yard and to have a little stone cottage with a working fireplace under a giant willow tree. I could have breakfast out by the fountain and little birds would land on my shoulder and then I could catch the 6 train and be at the office in 15 minutes. Oh, I guess if I lived there I would probably ride my bike to work.


I have a little problem with lilacs and the Conservatory Garden has hundreds of lilac bushes. Abe went off to find a bathroom and while I waited for him I just stood there huffing the blossoms for a solid 5 minutes and taking close-up photos. My nose was stained with pollen for the rest of the night.

I didn't get a photo because I couldn't get close enough, but there was a raccoon down this walkway just munching away at some food it had found. There was a crowd of 5 of 6 of us watching the thing - it was huge and had a massive bald spot on its back. A lady was saying that she see them every night and they are not scared of people or dogs.

No comments: