Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Awesome News

I just read that San Francisco's Board of Supervisors voted Tuesday to become the first U.S. city to ban plastic bags from large supermarkets to help promote recycling.

This is awesome news! I hope New York City is next in line. It drives me NUTS how many bags float (literally) through this city. If you go to the grocery store they automatically double-bag your groceries. Even if you are just buying some bananas. And so many times I've paid for my items and said "Oh, I don't need a bag" and then seen the cashier throw the bags away if they already ripped some off the rack for my items. Plus if you walk down any street with trees you'll see several plastic bags caught in the limbs like deflated baloons.

I'm not saying I am guilt-free of using plastic bags, but if this was a city-wide ban and we had to stop using them it would be A-OK with me. And not just because plastic bags are competition for us non-plastic bag designers.

Read about San Francisco's ban on plastic bags here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I read that too. How about designing some grocery bags the city could adopt...the design could be some bananas, tomatoes, a cartoon of milk?

Peter Boritz said...

That is such a lame idea. Designer grocery bags LOL. Stick to what you do best. Zindada.