Friday, June 12, 2009

I'm How Old?!?!

Today I turn 30. I cannot even believe it. I'm not afraid of the number or freaking out about my life, but I still just can't wrap my head around the fact that I've been around for that long!

Late last night my downstairs neighbor buzzed our apartment and said she was locked out. Then there was a knock at the door. Abe and I were in the bedroom - I was reading and in my pajamas. I was like "Go answer the door!" and he was like "No! You do it!" and I was so horrified that I was in my apartment pants and a droopy tank top, but I didn't want the poor girl to be waiting. So I go answer the door and it took me a couple seconds to realize it was one of my oldest, best friends in the world, Allyson!! She and Abe had been planning this surprise for weeks. I didn't even think she was going to make it down here and I had been telling her not to worry about it because I would be in Massachusetts the day after my birthday and she could see me then. She just laughed at me last night - miss my 30th birthday? As if.

It was wonderful to have the surprise of Allyson in my apartment, and her gift of two gorgeous rings [more on that later] with a really awesome birthday letter [our friendship anniversary is also the same day as my birthday - we met in homeroom in the 7th grade, but she had 2 other BFF's so I invited her to my 13th b-day party to woo her over to my side adn lucky for me she really wanted to be wooed by me.]

BUT - the most amazing part of it all wasn't our 17 year old friendship and the surprise she and Abe successfully pulled off - it was....

An entire tray of her mom's famous baklava that Allyson made for me!!



Now I'm off for a day at Spa Castle and then a night in Koreatown signing karaoke with all my other best friends. I am so lucky to have such wonderful people in my life! Embarrassing photos to follow after this weekend...

2 comments:

Cara DiPierro said...

Happy Birthday!!!! Enjoy your day!

beacon brothers said...

happy birthday old fart!!!! see you in about 2.5 hours.