Saturday, June 28, 2008

Steampunk Say What?

Not too long ago, I stumbled upon something called steampunk. I was on one of Abe's favorite blogs, Gizmodo.com, and saw this article that described how to mod an LCD monitor a la steampunk.

Well, it was cool, but I had no idea what this "steampunk" thing was so I veered off and read up about it and visited some steampunk themed sites such as The Steampunk Workshop. I had no idea steampunk existed up until this point, but I was so happy I found it because fit right in with my imagination's personality.

From Wikipedia:
Steampunk is a subgenre of fantasy and speculative fiction which came into prominence in the 1980s and early 1990s. The term denotes works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century, and often set in Victorian era England but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy, such as fictional technological inventions like those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or real technological developments like the computer occurring at an earlier date. Other examples of steampunk contain alternate history-style presentations of "the path not taken" of such technology as dirigibles or analog computers; these frequently are presented in an idealized light, or a presumption of functionality.

So anyway, Abe and I went for a bike ride to Long Island City yesterday and were looking at all the new buildings. There is one called The Powerhouse LIC that I LOVE, but Abe isn't really into. I think it looks like a steampunk building from the outside (the renderings on the website don't offer enough detail to really get the feeling) and I want to move in there. I wonder how much the units are...

Then somehow I ended up at ETSY and searching for steampunk items...bad/good idea depending on how you look at it. My favorites so far...


seller: BirdzNBeez


seller: SylviaAnderson

seller: Domestickate

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I posted about steampunk too! so weird it's re-emerging. My hubby laughed at me because I didn't hear about steampunk until a couple months ago... Aparently it's been "a huge underground trend for years". Don't know how he knows about that... he's not that underground! Anyway, here is my post!