Thursday, May 15, 2008

Swap: Once Upon a Time

So, I have kind of gotten addicted to online swaps. It started out innocently enough....I was reading the Modish blog and saw an post for a Punk Rock Garden Swap. You just have to mention the word "garden" to me and you pretty much have my undivided attention.

Anyway, this swap sounded pretty fun: This swap is openly defined: you will send 3 goodies for gardening loosely based on the theme: Punk Rock Garden. You should spend less than $5 on your package--which means thrift stores and DIY are a great way to go! Plus, a couple months ago I did the Sassy Apron Swap and got the best apron in the world so I am definitely feeling good about the whole thing.

Well, in order to sign up for the Garden Swap I had to create an account with Swap-Bot.com and from there I entered the under belly of online swapping. This is a very strange world. I have gathered that there are a lot of bossy people and a lot of people getting very angry over people who flake. I have also had to learn a new vocabulary. An "Angel" is someone who will make an extra swap for a person whose partner flaked on them. An "ATC" is an Artist Trading Card and these are a very popular item to swap. It's the size of a playing card and features some sort of artwork. ATC swaps are all theme-based.

So once I got going I seriously developed a problem and I think Abe was a little weirded out. But, I have to say, it has really gotten my creative juices flowing! It's nice to have an assignment so that I have to sit down and accomplish artwork on a regular basis.

Sooooo, without further ado, I present to you my first ATC swap. The theme was "Once Upon a Time...."

Front side

Back side
The one on the left is kind of like an enchanted forest vibe and the bird is 3-D (he is hanging by fishing line). The one of the right is inspired by Rapunzel. I used glitter. Woo hoo!

No comments: