Sunday, November 1, 2009

NYC Marathon 2009

The NYC Marathon was today - my favorite NY day of the year. Having it the day after Halloween was a little tough in the morning, but luckily Colleen and I started walking from Greenpoint to Williamsburg just in time to catch the pro runners and the wheelchair competitors. We walked all the way to N. 8th and parked ourselves for a couple hours and cheered on the runners.

Colleen's brother-in-law, Harry, was running in the race. We spotted him, screamed his name, and jumped up and down. He was able to maneuver across the street to come say a quick hello.

After all that exhausting marathon-watching we met up with Brian at Juliette and had an amazing brunch.





6 comments:

neil said...

I too love the marathon festival in New York city. I was disappointed yesterday that i missed it, but the gallery of photos made me feel happy.
Thanks for sharing the link and images.

scarlettth said...

Marathon race is one of my favourite in NEw York. I dontmiss it at all. I always used to tell that it is one of the healthiest sport. I felt bad when i heard Paula Radcliffe got injured.
Hope she gets well soon.
Keep posting.

Katie Volk said...

So inspiring! We went to cheer on our friend Gwen. I saw an 80 year old man juggling and running. It was at that point I thought, "I'm the laziest a-hole on the planet. All I did was wake up today."

Ryan Green said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ryan Green said...

I go through a lot of emotions on Marathon day. I usually start crying as I walk down Manhattan Ave when the wheelchairs are zooming by, then I'm super pumped once I hit Bedford, then I cry again when the big crowds hit, then I get angry because my fellow spectators don't understand proper etiquette. Like, don't sit on the curb and eat a muffin with your legs straight out in front of you. Also, don't run across the road to get to the other side. That one makes me realllll angry.

Harrino said...

I just want to say thank you soo much to Ryan and Colleen for their amazing support - it gave me a real boost . It was my first - and quite possibly last - marathon and overall the experience was incredible amzing sight, sounds and overall feeliong of camaraderie amongst runners , spectators and officials alike - Thanks NYC for taking my cherry!!
P.S I hobbled in in 4hrs 29 minutes battered but not beaten!!